Trojans clash with Titans

By: Aaron Pyle

         In the last matchup for Girard, Sept. 11, the Trojans fell to the Pratt Greenbacks 20-19. The Trojans were originally planned to play Baxter Springs but due to a COVID-19 closure, the game was canceled.

         Following the tough loss, the Trojans looked to bounce back in their matchup Friday, Sept. 18 against the Columbus Titans (2-0). The Titans came into the matchup fresh off a 14-7 victory over Coffeyville-Field Kindley, Sept. 11.

         Opening the game, the Titans came out firing repeatedly going to the option attack, confusing the Trojan defense. The relentless attack led to the Titans running in a 22-yard quarterback keeper to put up the first points of the game. Making the two-point conversion, the Titans led 8-0 early in the first.

         The two sides traded possessions throughout the rest of the first quarter as offenses began to go cold. Columbus broke the cold streak by opening the second quarter with another 22-yard touchdown down the sideline. The Titans were unable to make the two-point conversion as Columbus led 14-0 with nine minutes remaining in the second.

         Turnovers plagued the Trojans throughout the first half as the offense was held to a minimum by the Titans defense. At halftime, the Titans led the Trojans 14-0.

         Girard came out in the second half with energy on the defensive end holding the relentless running game of the Titans and forcing Columbus to two straight three and outs. On the second three and out of the third quarter, the Trojans had the Titans pinned back to the goal-line. That’s when the Titans muffled the punt attempt and Girard senior Mason Huebner scooped up the fumble for a Trojans touchdown. Sophomore Garrett Humble nailed the extra-point attempt as the Trojans narrowed the gap, 14-7, with seven minutes remaining.

         The two sides went back and forth exchanging possessions through the third quarter as well as early in the fourth. The Titans were able to get the running game going in the fourth quarter working the ball up the middle as the Trojans struggled to contain the Titans. The aggressive attack led to Columbus running in an 8-yard touchdown to further the lead, 20-7.

         Remaining cold on offense, the Trojans gave the possession back to the Titans midway through the fourth but would hold Columbus with their backs to the goal-line.

         On the ensuing punt by Columbus, the Trojans would get an illegal hit penalty which gave Columbus the ball back. The Titans then scored a couple plays following the penalty off a 56-yard run with one minute on the clock. Sealing the game, the Titans prevailed over the Trojans 26-7.

         Dropping to 1-2 overall, the Trojans return to Frank Jameson Field for a home-opener against Anderson County (3-0) Friday, Sept. 25.